Thursday, March 13, 2008

Steering Wheel Stories

Well, if you saw our comments post under Eddie's post, you will note that most of our daily observations come from behind the steering wheel... see Eddie's "Hey Y'all" post & our comments to catch up.

This story is a lesson learned~ and we learn them every day! For the past week or so, I have been watching another off-ramp / on-ramp grass island off the highway not far from home. I pass it daily and it has three large trees on the island, so you can imagine it is sizable enough to host some habitat areas for the wildlife that is lucky enough to make it there alive.

About a week ago, I noticed the island because I saw a pair of red-shouldered hawks on the ground together, and I have never seen them on the ground together, even in the spring. I have only seen them in trees. The hawks were not eating carrion, so I thought maybe they were gathering nesting material... then I saw them together again the next day at the same time (3:30 PM) in the pouring rain! I was so surprised to see them in the rain on the ground that I wondered if one hawk was hurt. I planned to go check it out again the next day. It seemed strange to me that they would still be gathering materials in the pouring rain... but I guess they could be? I did not see them again.

About six days later, yesterday, I noticed there are a bunch of flower bulb shoots coming up in that exact area where the hawks were. Mystified because I didn't think hawks would eat bulbs, and had not seen any rabbits or squirrels in the area, I called my mom for assistance. I explained my 50mph observations to her, and she said, wise woman she is, in her matter-of-fact tone, "Voles eat bulbs."

And there you have it!
Peace & Loveall,
Mae & Undrea

3 comments:

Mae said...

I saw the fawn again the day before yesterday in the morning. It was raining and she was out foraging. I was glad she got some water; I don't think there are any good water sources on that island. She looked a little skinnier. I am really tempted to leave carrots. I know I know better....

Practical Primitive said...

This is the toughest time of year for large herbivores like deer. They've pretty much run through all the winter food and the acorns are all pummeled, but the spring growth is just barely coming up. I don't think that leaving a few sweet potatoes or carrots or some deer corn would be a bad thing. Sweet potatoes will keep longer though. Just make sure they're far back off the road. If she's worked hard enough to make it all through winter on her own she's obviously a fighter and a smart girl. Giving her a bit of a hand through this difficult time would probably be more of a blessing than a curse. So follow your instincts!

Mae said...

Well it's been a busy week! Undrea & I have been working our biz pretty hard, and we hope to take some time out this weekend. We are actually still working right now, but did discuss some plans to work on our firebags some more later on. Then he scheduled a meeting with a colleague for later on... so maybe tomorrow. Bummer! I left a message for Lara; maybe she can get together. If not, I will take advantage of whatever light is left and take a little jaunt into Nature, and then return to work my firebag.
Spring has definitely sprung here -it's very cool to see! The turkey vultures are all pairing up and they are neat to watch during this time of the year. There are a few particular spots along my commute they roost up so I get to see them regularly.
My herb garden is already blooming with thyme, lavender, strawberry, chives, onions, and rosemary all in full leaf. I love it! We had high winds here so Undrea's plane came in quite late yesterday. It's been raining on & off and we had some hail today. The mint is beginning to creep along the butterfly garden area and I need to think about composting the veggie gardens & turning the soil one last time before planting... and we need to check on the bees! I saw a few of the "girls" out yesterday when it was warm enough. They are checking out the weeping cherry blossoms and the heather on the side of the house. We'll need to see how their honey stores are doing since there's not much nectar flowing yet... Every time I see one of those bees, my heart absolutely smiles! I used to be fearful of "stinging insects," but after three years of cohabiting with these gentle gals, I have a newfound love for all insects. They have taught me much.
:-) Happy Spring! Mae & Undrea